The company was founded with the name of AB Separator and produced its first heat exchanger in 1938. Its current name, Alfa Laval, was assumed in 1963. Between 1991 and 2000, Alfa Laval was part of Tetra Pak Group. In 1991, Alfa Laval Agri, an agricultural equipment manufacturing company, split from Alfa Laval. When it was sold, Alfa Laval Agri remained part of the Tetra Pak Group and was renamed DeLaval in memory of the founder of the company. Alfa Laval now divides its operations between equipment (sales of capital goods) and process technology (longer-term contracts).
Among other things, the company manufactures pumps, centrifuges, heat exchangers and other liquid and beverage treatment equipment, mainly for the chemical, food and pharmaceutical industry, but also with a strong presence in the maritime industry as a supplier of shipboard equipment.See webpage